Friday, December 16, 2011

Yesterday Evening's Celebration of Christmas

Since arriving in Grand Rapids 11 years ago, I've viewed advertisements regarding the Holiday Pops longingly. How wonderful it would be to attend that, I've said to myself each time I've seen the ads. The Lord finally made it possible to attend yesterday evening, when I went with a couple of my coworkers. One of them told me she, too, had longed to attend it since arriving here 13 years ago.


What a concert it was! Soprano soloist Lisa Daltirus was terrific, singing some of my favorite Christmas songs including O Holy Night and Mary Did You Know. Her voice soared over the auditorium. Decked out in a sparkling red evening gown, she was beautiful.

After the intermission, the Grand Rapids Symphony was joined by the Symphony Chorus, fully 250 musicians and singers performing at the same time. Under the direction of Conductor John Varineau, the concert was memory making. And when it ended with Handel's Hallelujah Chorus, it was almost a taste of heaven.

*Pictures courtesy of the Internet.

No comments: