Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Incremental Progress

I continue to make incremental progress on my most major project, the Bibles International history book. My first proofreader finished reading and marking the second chapter today. I made the changes she suggested and then sent it winging its way through cyberspace to the second proofreader. Meanwhile, I continued my work on the third chapter. I've been working on it for weeks, and am still only in 1986. That chapter goes half way through 1987, so I still have about a year's material to cover. (Our organization was founded in the middle of the year, so I'm breaking my chapters according to our organizational calendar.)

There was an electrical storm near Bibles International this morning. Lightning apparently hit something near the office, causing the power to go out. In our building it is really dark without lights. The restrooms have no windows, for example. The a/c shuts down, of course, as do our most important tools, our computers. The power went off at about 9:50. We have break time and devotions at 10:00 normally. The lunch room, where we gather for that, has a window. We had candles on each table and the man who read from the Bible read by flashlight. Bob, the man in charge, told us that we could go home if the power had not come back on by 11:00. It hadn't, so I think everyone went home except Bob. I assume he stayed to see if the power company would come.

So I worked at home for the rest of the day. Fortunately, I have the chapters of my book on a jump drive, so it was easy to bring that home. I brought the research materials from which I was writing as well. I called the office late this afternoon and the phone system was working, so I assume the power had been restored by that time. It looks like we'll all be back at work tomorrow, Lord willing.

Working at home today allowed me to be aided by my four-footed assistant, which makes life interesting if not terribly efficient.

God's blessings on each one of you.

No comments: