Friday, June 10, 2011

Local Events, Family Events, and World Events

As I drove home today in the late afternoon, it occurred to me that I was a bit chilly in my short sleeves. When I looked at the thermometer, I knew why. It was 42 degrees cooler than a similar drive home earlier this week. Now I know we are supposed to be adaptable, but 42 degrees difference at the same time of day is a significant difference in a few days' time. I much prefer today's temperature, but we have no choice, do we? Those who are the most adaptable have the most joyful life, just taking what God gives.

Continuing to try to reclaim my life has been foremost for me this week. I've made some progress in my work space at the office, but I still have a long way to go. I doubt what I've reclaimed there is significant enough for anyone else to notice.

In family news, one of my nephews was "downsized" out of his job near the end of the year last year. He thought he had been hired for a nice job this week, only to find that (presumably because this company makes products for the US government) he must obtain security clearance which includes, among other things, looking at each time he's been outside of the US. Since he's done short-term mission work in Myanmar and mainland China, this may present a bit of a challenge. Please join me in praying that the Lord would provide for him and his wife and the baby they are expecting in August.

You may wonder why I've not recently mentioned Emmanuel, the child I raised in Africa who is now 25 years old. You will remember that they've had great political turmoil in Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) since their election in November. I have heard nothing from him or his family in the past two-three months. I literally don't know if they lived through the conflict or if the Lord took them home to be with Him. Please join me in praying that if they are still alive, I'll be able to have some contact with them soon. I know they had to flee their home with nothing but the clothes on their back and a few items they could carry, so they undoubtedly need to start over. I would like to help meet some of their needs, if they are still alive and starting over again in life.

I am relearning the truth of 1 Peter 5:7: "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."

No comments: