Friday, June 24, 2011

Two Widely Divergent Pieces of News

Would you like the good news first, or the bad? I think I'll begin with the bad. For months I've heard nothing from the child I raised in Cote d'Ivoire, Emmanuel, nor from his older adoptive-brother-in-law with whom he lived. With each passing day in which I hear no news from them, I'm becoming more convinced that they did not live through the political conflict in that country. A Baptist Mid-Missions missionary who lives and ministers in Liberia recently visited refugee camps made up of people who've fled Cote d'Ivoire. The refugees tell of terrible atrocities--people killed in cold blood because they supported the previous president who has now been deposed. I wish I could copy parts of the prayer letter I received, but because I've not gotten permission to do so, I don't feel that I should. Suffice it to say that I was sick to my stomach after reading the letter and listening to the short video clip that was a part of it. Knowing some of the people who spoke on the video only added to my distress.

Please pray for these suffering people, many of whom are saints of God, living in UN-supplied tents in the heat of Africa. My heart aches for them.

Now for the good news: After months of waiting on the Lord for His provision of employment, one of my nephews has just received security clearance to begin employment with Lockheed Martin in the San Jose, California, area. He and his wife are expecting a baby in August, and I have been begging the Lord to allow him to find a job before the baby comes, if it would please Him. If you've been praying with me about this, thank you so much. I could not begin to count the number of times I have prayed about this matter. Since I have beseeched the Lord so many times for His provision for them, I would be remiss not to thank Him for what He has done. Please join me in thanking Him for His provision for this young couple, soon to be parents.

No comments: