Saturday, February 23, 2008

A New Great!

Well, I have some good news this evening. My oldest nephew's wife gave birth to a little girl this afternoon. In the interest of privacy, I'll just say that the parents are JD and Sarah, the eldest child of my younger sister. It's their first child and of course they're very excited. The baby arrived at 5:30 CT, weighing eight pounds, and seven ounces. She has a full head of black hair, I'm told. Since both her mother and maternal grandmother have black hair and her dad has dark brown hair I don't think it's too surprising that hers is black. Her name is Joanna Darby--Darby being her middle name. It is her maternal grandmother's maiden name. Little Joanna has the same initials as her daddy.

I've been praying for them all day since I knew they were going to the hospital around 8:00 a.m. CT. Sarah had gone into early labor about five and a half weeks ago and had been put on strict bedrest. They were able to successfully stop the labor, obviously, and then had to induce it this morning. We have much for which to thank the Lord--a healthy baby, a safe delivery, and parents who love the Lord and will try to raise this child to love Him too.

Most of you know that I'm single. When that is the case, nieces and nephews become almost like your children. So this is an exciting day for me as well as for the grandparents. I now have seven great nieces and two great nephews. And they are great! The interesting thing is that I have nine nieces and nephews, three of whom are not yet married, and three of whom have been married less than two years each. When they all begin presenting me with greats, there will be a lot of children to enjoy!

Thank you for allowing me to share my excitement with you.

One last exciting thing: we haven't had snow in Grand Rapids for about three days and don't expect any for another 48 hours or so. I got out to a full-size grocery yesterday and a big box store today. It's the first time I've been in a store other than a grocery since Christmas!

No comments: