Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Various and Sundry Things

It's late and I'm in a hurry to get to bed. I've just gotten home from Bible study, and I'm tired. So, I'm afraid to think of how many mistakes I may make, but please bare with me.

I got a call from Liberia this morning. The pastor from Pehe, the village in which I lived and worked in Cote d'Ivoire, called. He is Liberian, and so when the political situation became too hot, he chose to take his family and leave for Liberia. He told me that they are okay, but many of the churches have been destroyed or badly damaged. At the same time, he told me he doesn't know anything about the former pastor's wife and children--that would be the pastor who was there when I was there. He's been with the Lord for years, but his widow and many of his children still lived in Pehe. They fled when things got bad, and he has been unable to learn anything about where they are, or even if they're still alive.

Perhaps you know that the former president who was voted out in November, refused to step down from his position, which has been the cause of all of the political upheaval. He was taken into custody yesterday. This may or may not bring political stability to the country. He had many loyal followers. They may seek revenge and continue to bring upheaval to the country. Please pray for stability there.

I've had no news from Emmanuel and his immediate, adoptive family in weeks. My mind goes in many directions when I think of them. When I last heard from them, they were living in one of Abidjan's suburbs. If you know anything about the situation there, you know the fighting has been particularly fierce in that area in the past several weeks and people are experiencing great suffering because they could not get access to food and water. Please pray for the Lord's protection and provision for them.

I'd also like to have you pray about a situation in my family which is of great concern to me. Thank you for caring and praying.

Bibles International is having a Bible Event this week. We have a traveling display of ancient English Bibles in our office, along with many copies of older Scriptures in other languages. We'd love to have you visit this week. Hours are 9:00 to 4:00 on Wednesday and Friday, 9:00 to 8:00 on Thursday, and 9:00 to noon on Saturday. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to have a tour through the building. We'd love to have you visit. We had a family who drove over from Elyria, Ohio, today in order to see the display. If you're anywhere near us, please come and visit.

Thank you for your prayers. I need them desperately.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Still praying for Ivory Coast - I wonder about Emmanuel each time I read a news story about it. The Bible display sounds neat. It reminds me of a Bible history museum we visited at Holy Land Experience.
Praying, but I won't "bare" with you :)